Farmington

The first white settler in what became Farmington Township, was a Quaker from Farmington, New York, named Arthur Power. He purchased land in 1823 and returned in 1824 with a group of family and associates to clear the land. The settlement became known as Quakertown. A post office was established in January 1826 with the name of Farmington. The township of Farmington was organized in 1827. The settlement incorporated as the village of Farmington in the winter of 1866-67. A fire on October 9, 1872 destroyed many buildings in the center of the village. Farmington incorporated as a city in 1926.

A small settlement also developed in Clarenceville, in the extreme southeast corner of the township on the boundary with Livonia in Wayne County. Stephen Jennings built a tavern and general store to accommodate travelers on the plank road between Detroit and Howell. The name remains in the Clarenceville School District. Even though the school buildings for Clarenceville are in Livonia in Wayne County, the school district serves a portion of Farmington Hills.

In 1847, a post office named North Farmington was established a mile south of the township line as Wolcott’s Corners. After the death of postmaster Chauncey D. Walcott in 1865, the office moved to the township line in the northeast quarter of section 4 (near the intersection of 14 Mile Road and Farmington Road). The post office operated until September 1902.[5]

Before the remainder of Farmington Township incorporated as the city of Farmington Hills, there were two other incorporated entities within the boundaries. The first began as a subdivision named Quaker Valley Farms that incorporated as the village of Quakertown in 1959. The other was Wood Creek Farms, developed in 1937 as a subdivision by George Wellington of Franklin, Michigan, who named it after a New England estate. It incorporated as a village in 1957.[5] The villages together with the remainder of Farmington Township incorporated into the City of Farmington Hills in 1973.

In 1964 the city of Farmington started a tradition that became known as the Founders Festival, celebrating 47 years this Summer. The festival is always held in mid July each Summer and is a fair gathering held in the downtown Farmington area. It’s filled with arts and crafts, entertainment shows, good food, friends and family, and a fun atmosphere.